Animal encounters – there are plenty of ways to get up close and personal with animals.
- Billabong Zoo has opened an exciting new Africa Exhibit with cute baby lion cubs and cheetahs, plus the new Jurassic Pond exhibit is home to a 4.6 metre monster croc called Shrek. There are shows and feeding times all day.
- In the hinterland Bellrowan Valley Horse-riding offers a variety of treks through lush valleys which ends sharing damper, scones and jam with the farm animals.
- Every day at 3pm the Koala Hospital offers a free Feed, Walk and Talk tour to learn about the sick and injured koalas at this unique, volunteer run attraction.
- At heritage theme park Timbertown there are farmyard animals, Clydesdale horses and bullock demonstrations.
Adventure – for some heart-stopping fun there is plenty of action to be found.
- Stoney Park is water-lover’s paradise with water-skiing, wake-boarding, canoeing and tube-riding on two massive purpose-built lakes
- If you love animals and have a sense of adventure take a Camel Ride along Lighthouse Beach for a 30-minute gentle safari
- Port Macquarie Horse Riding Centre at Cassegrain offers exhilarating beach horse rides along picturesque North Shore Beach, perfect for beginners or experienced riders. Getting there is part of the journey as you take a ferry across the Hastings River.
- For children 14 and over with a penchant for heights Coastal Skydivers allows you to freefall from a whopping 10,000 feet at 200km/hr on a tandem jump, with spectacular views. High Adventure Paragliding offer Tandem paragliding joy flights, a great way to enjoy the full paragliding aerial experience, guaranteed to leave you feeling like you're walking on air!
Waterways – take it up a notch with a raft of other waterway experiences.
- Float down the Hastings River on a Chinese Junk, learn about the natural environment on an eco-cruise or roar along at 100km/hr on the fastest boat in NSW. Head to Town Wharf and pick your tempo with Port Venture, Cruise Adventures or Port-Jet.
- Hire a BBQ Boat from Dunbogan Boatshed - gather the family, grab the fishing rods and relax on board a special BBQ boat while drifting down the Camden Haven River, no license is required.
- Head to Swans Crossing and float down Upsalls Creek on an air bed or boogie board. The creek gurgles along and is clean, clear and cool. There are plenty of rocks for the kids to explore and clamber over, guaranteed to tucker the kids out so they sleep well that night!
Walks and parks - Port Macquarie is a walker’s paradise with so much stunning nature to explore on foot.
- Tourism Australia rated Port Macquarie’s 9km Coastal Walk from Town to Lighthouse Beach, as one of the country’s top four spectacular coastal walks.
- Near Wauchope Old Bottlebutt is the largest Red Bloodwood tree in the southern hemisphere, 16-metres wide, and access is now easy along a 600-metre walk in the Burrawan State Forest. Close-by at Bago Maze there are 2,000 metres of pathways to explore.
- At Sea Acres Rainforest Centre enjoy the tranquillity along the 1.3km elevated rainforest loop walk and visit the Spirit of the Land exhibition
- Walk the Rainforest Loop around the top of North Brother Mountain in the Dooragan National Park for 360-degree views and a picnic in the clouds.
- McInherney Park is on the banks of the Hastings River with a sandy beach, electric barbecues, picnic tables and a children’s playground.
Eating out - with a smorgasbord of eateries around the region, most are child-friendly, but here are a few to get you started.
- A unique lunch spot is Café Red at Ricardoes Tomatoes and you can pick your own strawberries and tomatoes afterwards to take home.
- Tucked away at the end of Clarence Street close to the commercial wharf you'll find LV's on Clarence. Offering casual family friendly cafe dining you're bound to feel instantly at home here. Chef Todd Richardson is passionate about fresh seasonal local produce which he crafts into a menu with something for everyone.
- If you fancy a cocktail the Latin Loafer is a new wine bar which welcomes children early evening with an array of tapas dishes and water views.
- The Pancake Place is an eclectic and colourful toucan-themed restaurant with a vast array of sweet and savoury pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is also entertainment for the kids, games and a DVD corner
Get the latest
Subscribe to our newsletter for all the local updates.