And change the ‘crawl’ to a wander along our Coastal Walk, one of the most scenic walks in Australia!
The Port Mac ‘Walk n Fork’ covers an 8 km stretch of spectacular coastline trails and beaches, dotted with fab food and coffee, as well as great swimming and snorkelling spots. Spend the whole day, or just do section of it for an hour or two (and know you won’t go hungry).
2. Walk around to Oxley Beach, then onto Flynns Beach (2.2kms)
3. Rest stop/drink at Sandbox, Flynns Beach
4. Flynns Beach to Shelly Beach (2.3kms)
5. Snorkel in the Shelley Beach Lagoon area, straight in front of the car park.
6. Shelley Beach to Tacking Point Lighthouse (2.7km) - great for whale watching and taking in the sweeping views up and down the coast!
7. Tacking Point Lighthouse to Tacking Point Surf Club (800m), roll down the hill to the Surf Club’s café, Coast, for a well-deserved brunch. Take a dip between the flags at Lighthouse Beach, then head back up the hill to commence your return journey (note: there’s a bus stop opposite the Surf Club if you’d prefer a lift back to town!)
Note: If you're getting a bit tired by this point, you can catch a bus back into town from the nearby bus stop near the corner of Matthew Flinders Drive and Glen St. Stops on the way, include Shelley Beach and Flynns Beach, the CBD stop, and then on to Settlement City. For bus times, call 1300 69 2929.
8. Back to Sandbox at Flynns Beach for another drink/snack/swim.
Notes: We’d recommend good walking shoes, and a backpack for sunscreen, water, swimming and snorkeling gear! This is a Grade 4 walk so there are some steep sections and a fair number of stairs. The entire walk return will take around 6-7 hours (with breaks) for those with reasonable fitness levels. It is possible to do the walk one-way (3 hrs) and catch a bus/Taxi/Uber back from Lighthouse Beach. Check the bus timetable before you leave.