Pup-friendly Port Mac has a bunch of great dog parks, designated dog-friendly beaches, cafes, bars, restaurants and walks that will keep you and your doggo happy.
Council has put together this interactive map of off-leash, dog friendly areas, which is super handy! And we've put together our top picks (as determined by our furrier members of the team):
1. Coming in at #1 is Little Turkey, which not only dishes up incredible Turkish food in divine cabanas in their garden, they even have a menu designed especially for your pup! A must visit, with or without Fido.
2. Nobbys Beach is dog heaven! It's spectacularly beautiful, and full of playful pups. We like to park up the top of the 'Kenny Walk' on Pacific Drive, and take the 5-10 minute coastal walk around to Nobbys. In whale season you're bound to spot a few.
3. Lighthouse Beach (South of Watonga Rocks) is also a dog-lovers delight. A huge run of off-leash beach, often shared with Camels, 4WD's and sometimes horses as well.
4. Walk from Westport Park along the river and into town, via the Wharf precinct and Town Green. You can stop for a drink at pup-friendly Little Shack or Chop n Chill, then make your way up the Break Wall and over to the Coastal Walk from Town Beach to Oxley Beach (you can take your dog for a leashed walk/run along Oxley Beach). It’s a popular walk for dog owners, and is super social! A great way to meet the locals J
5. Walk from North Haven breakwall and follow the river around to Laurieton for fish n chips at Laurieton Seafoods.
7. Breakwall HQ Café- right next to Town Beach, Skate Park and Playground. Perfect if you've got dogs and kids in tow.
8. Seasalt Cafe- overlooking the Marina with plenty of outdoor seating.
9. Sandbox Cafe- right on Flynns Beach with the best views.
10. Coast Lighthouse Beach Cafe- right on Lighthouse Beach. A popular spot for dog owners.
11. Beach Break Café North Haven- right on North Haven beach.
12. Stony Aqua Park - the largest inflatable water park in the southern hemisphere, with a kiosk, good shade, picnic facilities and dog friendly? Yes please.
The rules around pets are changing all the time. We’ve found most of our holiday parks and many smaller properties are now allowing dogs. Some have date restrictions and size limits, so best check directly with the property you’re interested in. Below are a few pet-friendly accommodation recommendations.
ibis Styles Port Macquarie hotel offers accommodation directly across from the iconic Town Beach. The only Port Mac hotel that currently offers pet-friendly (dogs and cats) rooms. Call for bookings and pet-friendly room availability.
Diamond Waters Caravan Park is a peaceful, leafy park on the shores of the beautiful Camden Haven River. They have ensuite cabins, powered sites and non-powered sites available.
Set along the iconic breakwall, overlooking the Hastings River, you’ll find this holiday park. You’ll enjoy beach and town access right at your doorstep.
A fantastic holiday park and watersports complex, located at Telegraph Point, just north of Port Macquarie.